Carpenter voted ‘Athlete of the Week’ after breaking school golf record

-  -  4

A record-setting round sent shockwaves around campus and put Griffyn Carpenter in line for this week’s “Athlete of the Week” award. Carpenter, a sophomore golfer, shot a 67 at the University of Saint Francis Invitational and led the Pilots to an impressive first-place finish out of 14 teams. Carpenter broke the previous record of 68 set by Jon Bonfiglio in 2008.
Griffyn Carpenter shot a 67 - breaking the school record for lowest 18-hole individual score.
“It was pretty surreal,” Carpenter said. He combined four birdies and one eagle against only a single bogey for a round of five-under par. Despite tearing up the course with his record-breaking performance, Carpenter stayed humble. “We won the tournament and that’s honestly all I care about,” he said. Not only did Carpenter set fire to the record books, but the team set some new marks as well. The Pilots set team records in 18-hole score (286) and 36-hole score (591). After the round was over, the significance of his performance finally hit him. “I was signing my scorecard when my coach came up to me and said, ‘Great round! By the way, you just shot the school record,'” Carpenter said. To vote for the “Athlete of the Week,” simply go to The Bethel Beacon website (beacon.bethelcollege.edu) and click on the link in the upper right hand corner. Nominees are posted every Thursday, and voting ends every Sunday night. Then on Wednesdays, check back in to The Beacon to see who won!  
bookmark icon